I totally hit it out of the park with this recipe!!
My mom is Danish and one of my favorite recipes growing up was Browned Cabbage and Pork.
Sadly, she doesn't remember how the recipe goes and so I've search for the past couple of years for a recipe that sorta comes close.
This week instead of the sausage I made it with a Pork Tenderloin (browned it first on all sides). It was amazing!! I also added some brown sugar when carmelizing the onions (but I always do that because I love the sweetness) and it actually ended up tasting very close to the one I remember as a child.
P.S. You can cheat and buy the bagged angel hair cabbage instead of chopping. I used 1 1/2 bags.
I found this on All Recipes. Of course I added it to Paprika!!
Prep Time: 10 m | Cook Time: 45 m | Servings: 4 | Difficulty: Medium
1 1/2 teaspoons butter
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 links chicken and apple sausage
1 onion, sliced
1 pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 cloves garlic, crushed
3 cups apple cider or apple juice
1 pound small Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled
1 1/2 pounds finely shredded green cabbage
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, for garnish
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
1. Combine butter and olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add sausages and cook until browned on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes.
2. Stir onion, pinch of salt, and pinch of pepper in with the sausages. Cook and stir until onions are slightly translucent and caramelized, about 5 minutes. (Note: I added a bit of brown sugar to sweeten up the onions).
3. Stir garlic into sausage mixture; cook and stir for 30 seconds.
4. Pour apple cider into sausage mixture; increase heat to medium-high and stir in potatoes. Bring to a simmer.
5. Pour cabbage over top of sausage mixture and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove sausages and potatoes from the Dutch oven and set aside.
6. Increase heat to high, simmer liquid until thick and reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
7. Return potatoes and sausages to the Dutch oven and remove from heat.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with mustard and parsley.
Nutritional Info: Calories: 441 kcal 22%
Fat: 14.1 g 22%
Carbs: 63.5g 20%
Protein: 17.7 g 35%
Cholesterol: 108 mg 36%
Sodium: 706 mg 28%